More County History from the Richmond Climax

Title

More County History from the Richmond Climax

Description

The Richmond Climax, a weekly newspaper, was a forerunner of the Richmond Daily Register, which began publishing in 1917. Here are some news items from the Climax. Jasper Castle provided this information.

“Wednesday, July 4, 1900 – White Station, Peytontown and Blythewood – as written by Edwin Brown. White Station is ten miles from the city, situated on the L&N Central Division railroad. It was named in honor of John and George White, two prominent farmers of that section, the former being the present incumbent of the county clerk’s office. Their father was a noted farmer of this section and in the eighteen fifties made an exceedingly hot race for the legislature with Mr. Biggerstaff on the Democratic ticket, but was defeated by the Whig candidates, Chenault and Fields. This was one of the hottest contested races in the county up to that time, equaling the amount of money spent by Little and Clay.

The old White homestead is an excellent large brick residence in a good condition with a large three story tower in from gives it somewhat like the appearance of the old castle of old England, which was built hundreds of years since. This place has a store or two and is quite an important shipping point for a large section of the county.

Near this place is located silver Creek Presbyterian meeting house. This is the home of Judge John Goodloe, an excellent citizen of that section. He is a scion of some of the oldest families in the county and the state. He emigrated from the beautiful little city of Danville several years since and located at his present place of residence. He once was county judge of Boyle [county] and also represented this senatorial district in the general assembly and was noted for his sterling qualities and staunch adherence to what he thought was right. Near the station is Whites Mill, located on Silver Creek, and now owned and operated by Robert Potts, who has inherited the genius of his father who was one of the last millers in commonwealth, and operated the mills for several years now once owned and operated by Mr. Zaring and son on Main Street in the city. Mr. Potts’ mill runs by water power by winter and by steam in the summer, when the fluid is scarce. The capacity is forty barrels per day.

Near the mill is Steven’s blacksmith shop, operated by Rufus Stephens, one of the oldest and best smiths in the county. Some of the principal farmers are George White, Judge Goodloe, Ollie McWilliams, Twig and Mogan, two Englishmen who emigrated from old England a few years since and settled in this place, they are noted for raising ferrets, rabbits and poultry of all kinds and other things. Jacob Herndon, a former resident of the lone star state of Texas, which is known for its imminence in cattle ranches [also lives in this area]. Although far from that faraway state, noted for its cowboys, he is not on that order, but is a gentleman of culture and refinement, with much native vigor and push, and owns one of the largest farms of this section, containing about one thousand acres of the best land of this section. His first wife was Miss Emma Parks, youngest daughter of Squire John Parks of Kingston.

Peytontown is located on the L&N railroad, eight miles from this city. It has a good brick school house, two stores, and is an important shipping point for that section of the country. The principal merchant is Mr. Elbridge Harris, a large man and well known to the county, although he tips the scales considerably over two hundred pounds and is over half a century old, he avers and affirms that he can beat in a foot race of one hundred yards G. W. Pickets, Dr. Gibson, Dr. Evans, Dr. Roberts, Dr. Hockaday and Squire Armer; and as for Green Turley, he says he will give him 50 yards and beat him to that goal. Wouldn’t this make an interesting contest among those fat men?

Blythewood was the former home of Hon. Buck Blythe, once prominent farmer of that section. The homestead is a large and excellent brick building in a good state of preservation. It has a large lawn in front which contains a veritable forest of pine and cedar, and many other kinds of ornamental trees which make a dense shade and it also has many beautiful flowers and shrubs and is well stocked with a great variety of fruits. It is an excellent vitia, or county seat and has for the use and convenience of the owner a flat or station known as Harris’ Flat. The personal owner of the estate is John D. Harris, one of the largest and richest landed proprietors in the country and one of our most progressive farmers. He once represented this senatorial district in the legislature and also made a race for governor, but was defeated by Simon Bolivar Buckner, a man of war fame.

Near this homestead and upon part of the plantation is the old Gentry homestead, built in 1801 and the home of one of Mr. Harris’ ancestors who emigrated from Virginia in 1785 and settled in this section, he was one of the large Gentry family of the United States, which held a reunion at Crab Orchard Springs, this state in 1898, and over a hundred persons who were descendants were in attendance from all over the union. Mr. Harris is father-in-law Hon. Samuel Stone, late state auditor, who filled the office with diligence and credit and also father-in-law to Hon. Cassius Clay Jr. of Bourbon County, a noted politician of the state. The old Richard Gentry homestead of about a thousand acres, the Major James Blythe estate and the estate of John Harris’ father, Major William Harris, all adjoining each other, came into the possession of Maj. John D. Harris and comprised an estate of about 3,000 acres of finely improved lands.”

Jasper Castle says “Today Blythewood is owned by Herndon and Juanita Agee. They have done an excellent job of restoration and maintaining the home. Herndon’s late brother Ralph was one of the finest carpenters of this county. He often mentioned doing work for his brother in restoration of the home. Ralph Agee built some of the finest homes in the county. He is truly missed.”

Here you have a review, from an independence day of long ago, of the local gentry — literally and figuratively — the politics, marriage alliances and land that make up a part of Madison’s heritage. I wonder what ever happened to the ferrets.

Creator

Dr. Fred Engle

Date

4/13/2010

Rights

Content may be freely copied for personal and educational purposes with appropriate citation. Permission is required to reprint.

Files

Collection

Citation

Dr. Fred Engle, “More County History from the Richmond Climax,” Madison's Heritage Online, accessed November 23, 2017, http://madisonsheritage.omeka.net/items/show/2149.