The Glyndon Hotel


The Glyndon Hotel


The Glyndon Hotel opened its doors to the public in 1880. Its name is Danish and means "Haven of Rest."

Guests arrived by train and rode up Main Street from the depot via horse drawn street cars. They entered gas lit rooms warmed by open fires and supplied with water from three large cisterns at the rear of the hotel. Lavish dinners were served in the spacious dining room. On Sept. 26, 1889 an Opening Ball was held in the dining room ballroom. In charge of this festivity were O.H. Chenault. W.S. Hume, E.T. Burnam, Waller Bennett, G.W. Phelps, W.B. Bright and H.L. Perry. This building was destroyed by fire May 22, 1891. G.W. Willis had served as hotel manager during these first years.

The present building was erected and opened in the fall of 1892 under the management of G.G. Corzelius. A side entrance for ladies was a feature and promenading along the Third Street side porch became a popular past time, for many guests. Boggs Barbershop and Cornett Drugs occupied the space beside the lobby for many years. May's Barbershop and the Glyndon Tailor Shop were and are on the lower level.

The property was acquired by Tom H. Collins in 1932 and he ran it until 1937. It is now owned by his daughter, Miss Elizabeth Collins. Howard L. Colyer has been the hotel manager since 1937.

The famous Daniel Boone painting was done especially for the hotel by Bert Mullins and was hung in 1932. The dining room is gone, having operated from the hotel's opening until 1965. Underneath the hotel proper was operated Cousin Joe's Restaurant (by Mr. and Mrs. Cosby) and the Rathskeller. The hotel lobby is still a favorite meeting place and resting place for Madison County citizens.


Dr. Fred Engle




Content may be freely copied for personal and educational purposes with appropriate citation. Permission is required to reprint.




Dr. Fred Engle, “The Glyndon Hotel,” Madison's Heritage Online, accessed August 19, 2018,